Position Title: Independent Living Specialist – Battle Creek Office
General Summary: The Independent Living Specialist serves customers who engage with the Disability Network Battle Creek office in-person, phone, and electronically. The Independent Living Specialist supports customers in achieving their independent living goals by offering resources, community-based services, and personalized case coordination. Services are provided in our Battle Creek office and community locations across Barry, Branch, and Calhoun counties.
Position Supervisor: Program Manager
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt, with a Minimum Starting Hourly Wage of $21
Supervisory Responsibilities: No supervisory responsibilities.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide information, referral, and case coordination to customers through in-person visits, via phone, and virtual platforms.
- Connect customers with resources and services to support their independent living goals.
- Partner with customers to provide training and support in key areas like transportation, housing, financial management, and community involvement.
- Deliver peer support services in small groups.
- Promote self-advocacy in customers.
- Work collaboratively with partner agencies to meet customers’ needs.
- Assist in creating and updating resources related to community-based services and supports.
- Stay up-to-date with disability issues and community resources.
- Accurately maintain customer records and complete required case-related documentation.
- Participate in internal meetings to collaborate with multiple agency teams.
- Represent the agency at community events such as informational booths.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Lived experience with disability is highly desired.
- A bachelor’s degree in a human service-related field or equivalent life experience is required.
- Committed to disability justice, independent living, organizational diversity, and culturally responsive services.
- Well-versed in community resources and current issues affecting the disability community.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Skilled in effectively communicating with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Effective time management and task prioritization skills.
- Skilled at gathering and analyzing information to determine the most appropriate course of action.
- Ability to collaborate as a versatile team member and work independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and database software; accessibility accommodations are available.
- Willing to work flexible hours, including occasional nights or weekends.
- Ability to travel for customer service and meetings.
- Background checks are a requirement for employment.
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that an applicant is unlikely to meet 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this position description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
Disability Network Southwest Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. This position will be posted starting on October 3, 2023, and is open until filled. Individuals with a disability are encouraged to apply. Requests for accommodations in the application process are welcomed and can be directed to Mona Khaled at firstname.lastname@example.org.