Get involved in the disability rights movement!
Here are some suggestions for ways to get involved, amplify your voice, and make a real difference:
- Learn about the history of the disability rights movement.
- Assess your own language. Are you using neutral words to describe people with disabilities or are you still using out-dated or offensive words like “handicapped” or “wheelchair-bound”?
- Speak up when you hear ‘jokes’ about disability, or when you see discrimination or injustice that impacts people with disabilities.
- Invite Disability Network to speak about disability issues at your club meeting, staff meeting, or other event.
- Talk to elected officials about issues that are important to you that affect people with disabilities.
- Volunteer your time and talents at Disability Network. We have a variety of ways you can help make a difference.
- Put information about Disability Network in your office lobby, newsletter, or church bulletin.
- Link your website to ours.
- Follow us on FaceBook.
- Provide financial support to support our mission of educating and connecting people with disabilities to resources while advocating for social change. Your gift really does make a difference.