Community Education Specialist
Disability Network Southwest Michigan is hiring a part-time Community Education Specialist to assist the Advocacy & Community Education team. The position is 28 hours per week with a starting wage of $15.00/hour.
Position General Summary
Responsible for assisting with and participating in community education activities in the eight-county service area both virtually and in-person. Including, but not limited to working closely with the Community Education Coordinator to ensure high-quality community education presentations, overseeing event registration process, sending out confirmation correspondence, participating in outreach efforts to promote Disability Network’s community education events to customers, and developing relationships with community partners to enhance education efforts. As a member of the Advocacy & Community Education team, participate in activities related to systems advocacy.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Engage in outreach efforts to encourage staff, volunteers, community, and customers to register for and participate in presentations
- Ensure that Disability Network volunteers and customers are included in the process of identifying community education topics
- Assist with editing and creating presentations
- Tracking registration and attendance for community education presentations
- Send invitations, reminders, and follow up surveys to participants via email
- Reading participant comments in chat box during virtual presentations
- Post links and desired information in virtual chat box under the direction of facilitator
- Managing breakout rooms during virtual presentations
- Guide participants through troubleshooting technical difficulties with online platforms
- Assist with preparation of physical space for in-person presentations
- Participate in development and implementation of annual agency and teamwork plans
- Research issues to increase knowledge of the current disability rights movement
- Represent Disability Network at community events hosted by partner agencies
- Participate in systems advocacy as needed
- Complete necessary documentation in database
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- Understanding of the disability rights movement and commitment to the independent living philosophy.
- Commitment to organizational diversity and providing culturally competent services and programming.
- High school diploma, GED or Certificate of Completion required, Associates Degree preferred.
- Preference is given to a qualified person with a disability.
- Experience and comfort with public speaking and reading aloud.
- Highly organized with good time management and problem-solving skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication.
- Experience facilitating in-person and virtual meetings using various online platforms.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks, prioritize work effectively and use judgment and discretion in decision-making.
- Experience using Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to utilize office and computer equipment, with or without an accommodation.
- The availability to work occasional nights or weekends
- Positive, professional interpersonal relationships skills.
- Must be able to travel throughout the multi-county area.
Follow this link to download a copy of this job description for a part-time Community Education Specialist
To apply for this position, send a cover letter and resume to Leatrice Fullerton at email@example.com by March 1, 2021.