Advocacy Academy is an opportunity to get involved in the disability rights movement and learn the skills of advocacy! Participants will learn advanced leadership!
Advocacy Academy is a paid 8-week summer job where participants choose a disability advocacy issue to learn about and then create an advocacy campaign around that issue. Participants will earn about:
- The history of the Disability Rights Movement in the United States
- The skills of advocacy
- Personal leadership skills
- How to work in a group
- Workplace skills
- How to plan and implement a disability advocacy project
Advocacy Academy provides valuable experience and training which can be applied to other life experiences. Many of our previous participants have received employment recommendations based on their performance and attitude at Advocacy Academy.
The 2021 Advocacy Academy is made possible by a grant from Stryker Johnston Foundation.
Qualifications & Expectations
Six (6) individuals will be selected to participate in this year’s Advocacy Academy program. We are seeking applicants who:
- Are between 16–29 years of age
- Are able to commit to the entire 8 week position
- Have a disability
- Are motivated to increase their leadership skills
Selected participants are expected to be present for all sessions (see “Schedule” section below for details) and participate in the advocacy project process.
This is a paid position at $10.70 per hour.
2021 Advocacy Academy
Advocacy Academy meets Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday afternoons for 8 weeks during the summer. Participants are expected to be at each session.
June 21 through August 18, 2021, 1:00 to 5:00 pm with the exception of July 5, 6 and 7, when we will not meet.
A graduation ceremony will be held on the last day, Wednesday, August 18.
Advocacy Academy will meet at our Kalamazoo office located at:
517 E. Crosstown Parkway
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49001
How to Apply for Advocacy Academy
To apply for this year’s Advocacy Academy, email or mail us your resume along with answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in learning about the Disability Rights Movement and advocacy?
- What does advocacy mean to you?
- What leadership skills do you want to develop?
- Please describe your disability.
- (This question is asked to ensure the Advocacy Academy team is comprised of a cross-disability group.)
Send your resume and answers to the above questions to Miranda Grunwell:
Advocacy Academy Application
c/o Miranda Grunwell
Disability Network Southwest Michigan
517 E. Crosstown Parkway
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Please let us know if you need an accommodation to apply.
Applications must be received by Monday, May 17, 2021