Advocacy Academy is an opportunity to get involved in the disability rights movement and learn the skills of advocacy! Participants will learn:
Advocacy Academy is a paid 8-week summer job where participants choose a disability advocacy issue to learn about and then create an advocacy campaign around that issue. This year we are pleased to be offering Advocacy Academy in both Kalamazoo and Battle Creek.
- The history of the Disability Rights Movement in the United States
- The skills of advocacy
- Personal leadership skills
- How to work in a group
- Workplace skills
- How to plan and implement a disability advocacy project
This is a paid position at $10.70 per hour.
Qualifications & Expectations:
- Are between 16–29 years of age
- Are able to commit to the entire 8 week position
- Have a disability
- Are motivated to increase their leadership skills
Selected participants are expected to be present for all sessions (see “Schedule” section below for details) and participate in the advocacy project process.
2020 Advocacy Academy
We are working on the details for the 2020 Advocacy Academy. Check back again in the spring for schedule and application information.