We currently have two positions open for an Information & Referral Specialist. One in our Kalamazoo office and one in our St. Joseph office. Both positions are full-time positions and pay a minimum starting wage of $16/hr.
Position General Summary
The I&R Specialist provides information and referral services to customers who visit or call Disability Network. This position has a primary focus on providing customers with education and resources on all aspects of disability issues. This position will engage in community education and outreach, as needed, and may provide core independent living case services with more complex requests.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide Information & Referral resources and services to customers in-person, over-the-phone, and through virtual platforms.
- Educate and connect customers to community resources.
- Assist customers in setting and accomplishing goals.
- Assist customers in learning essential independent living skills.
- Promote self-advocacy in customers.
- Work in partnership with customers to provide training and navigation supports in areas of transportation, housing, financial management, and self-care to reduce barriers.
- Collaborate with partner agencies to best meet the needs of customers.
- Research issues to increase knowledge of the current disability rights movement.
- Continue growth in knowledge of service provision, customer needs, and available resources.
- Assist with maintaining, developing, and updating I&R resources.
- Complete necessary documentation in NetCIL database.
- Represent Disability Network at community events hosted by partner agencies.
- Execute all other duties as assigned by the Program Director of I&R Services.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in human service field, or equivalent life experience.
- Understanding and commitment to the Independent Living philosophy & Disability Rights.
- Ability to provide helpful information, answer questions, and respond to complaints.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals, their families, and/or advocates as needed.
- Ability to work independently with superior organization and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals/groups with diverse backgrounds & abilities.
- Knowledge of disability related needs and community resources.
- Excellent social and listening skills; effective written and verbal communication.
- Ability to utilize office, computer equipment, and telephone with or without an accommodation.
- Commitment to organizational diversity and providing culturally competent services and programming.
- Must be able to travel to meet with customers and attend meetings.
- Preference given to qualified person with a disability.
Follow these links to download the position descriptions:
- Information & Referral Specialist – Kalamazoo Office
- Information & Referral Specialist/Core Services – Berrien/Cass
Persons interested in applying for this position may send a cover letter and resume to Hank Bostic at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 13, 2020.