ADA Anniversary Celebration
We will be celebrating Access for All throughout the month of July and are thrilled to be coming together again in person to celebrate the 32nd anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Below are details of our celebration activities.
As part of our Access for All celebration throughout the month of July, we are holding an Accessibility Scavenger Hunt. There is a short list of accessibility features below.
Find an example of each item listed and email us to tell us about it – what you found and where you found it. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For each item you respond to by July 25, 2022 you will be entered into a drawing for one of two $50 Amazon gift cards.
Find these items:
- Identify a building that uses braille wayfinding signs (such as restrooms, room numbers or elevator buttons).
- Identify a business that has at least a portion of their reception desk at wheelchair height.
- Identify a playground or park with accessible features.
- Identify a street or parking lot where you find an “accessible” parking sign (instead of a “handicapped” parking sign).
- Identify a website that offers font size adjustment.
- Identify a movie (either on video or at a theater) that offers audio descriptions in addition to subtitles.
Access for All Celebration!
Join us in person for a community celebration of the 32nd anniversary of the signing of the ADA. We will be serving a variety of light summer snacks as we enjoy being together in person again.
When: Friday, July 29, 3:00 to 5:00 pm
Where: Kalamazoo Farmer’s Market located at 1204 Bank St., Kalamazoo
There is plenty of free parking at the Farmer’s Market.
We will be presenting our annual awards at the Access for All celebration event:
- Bob Davis Independent Living: Alexandria Smith
- Community Inclusion Award: Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Joel Cooper
Registration is now closed; however, you are still welcome to join us. You can sign in at the registration table when you arrive.
Funded in part by ADA Michigan, an affiliate of the Great Lakes ADA Center, through grant #90DP0091-01-00 from the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living and Rehabilitation Research.
Our annual RAMP-A-THON campaign raises awareness in our communities about the importance of safe, affordable ramps for people with mobility disabilities. A ramp makes it possible to do something as basic as getting to the mailbox, as important as getting to doctor appointments, and as critical as being able to vacate in the event of an emergency. Ramps allow everyone equal opportunity to be a vibrant part of their community.
If you would like to join our corporate sponsors in financially supporting RAMP-A-THON, please use the button below to make an online donation, or contact Margaret Thurmand at email@example.com or 269-345-1516 x101.